Thursday, July 26, 2007

25 amazing uses for baking soda

I knew baking soda had a lot of different uses other than for baking. But I didn't know the amazing ways to use it until I googled baking soda uses and found this article.
Here's an excerpt:
Baking soda, which is also known as Sodium Bicarbonate, is much more than a baking supply. It can actually make your life easier. Not only is it economical to purchase, but it's also one hundred percent safe and natural to use everywhere around your house!

Let's look at twenty-five amazing ways you can use baking soda:

In the Bathroom

1. One part baking soda mixed with two parts of ground oatmeal makes a great scrub for your face. Just mix together the two ingredients and add enough water to make a paste. Gently rub the paste onto your face, avoiding the eye area. Leave the facial on for a few minutes. Then, gently remove it with plenty of cool water and a wash cloth. Your face will feel noticeably soft and smooth!

2. Is your skin suffering from a case of Poison Ivy or Sumac? Or, do the kids have Measles or Chicken Pox? Add a half cup of baking soda to a bath tub full of warm water. Soak the entire body. The baking soda will help relieve the itching and irritation. It will also help to soften skin!

3. There are many teeth whitening products on the market today, but the most natural is plain old baking soda. Simply dip your toothbrush into some soda everytime you brush! Not only will it help whiten your teeth, but it will help to clean your breath as well!

Baking soda can also be used to safely clean dentures, partials, and other dental apparatus.

4. You can use baking soda just like a dry cleanser to clean sinks, bath tubs, and toilets. It works especially well on chrome fixtures! It rinses off easily and you don't have to worry about scratches either.

5. Hairbrushes and combs pick up not only loose hair, but they also get oily.
Clean yours once a month by soaking them in a solution of warm water and a teaspoon or two of baking soda. Scrub them with a soft brush, if needed, then rinse them with clean water and let them air dry.

6. Is your hair dull and dingy? Maybe you have a build up of shampoo, spray, mousse, and other products in your hair. Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in with your shampoo the next time you wash your hair. The soda will remove any build up and leave your hair soft.

In the Kitchen

7. A pan with burnt food in it can be cleaned with less effort if you soak it in baking soda and hot water first.

8. To open up a partially clogged drain, pour a half cup of baking soda into it. Follow this with a cup of vinegar. Allow the solution to bubble for several minutes, then run hot water down the drain.

9. Do you love dried beans, but not the gas and bloating they cause? Sprinkle a teaspoon of baking soda in the water when you soak beans. Oila! No more digestion problems!

...read more

One more thing, long time ago (before the internet) I had found and used a recipe for baking soda clay. I had made several decorative items with it, based on the designs from this book. I couldn't purchase the clay originally used in the book, so I was content with the baking soda clay. I thought it would be preserved once dried and painted; unfortunately, most of the finished pieces deteriorated and crumbled due to the weather and only a few were slightly damaged...I recently found them in my drawer so I thought I'd share:


The wall ornament is about 4" x 5". I didn't finish painting the fabric details on the dress... The models on the book are much more detailed.
Btw, it was one of the crafty things that I thought I'd do with my kids then. But (understandably), they weren't interested enough...

7 comments:

  1. I have used baking soda to brush my teeth with before. I think it's interesting that a lot of toothpastes have baking soda in them, why not just use baking soda? It's cheaper and more natural. ;) (Doesn't taste good, but...)

    I didn't read the rest of the article, but you can also put it in your refrigerator to get rid of odors.

    Your clay ornaments held up great! I just recently made some 'Play Clay' with my kids (don't know if it had baking soda in it or not...) I know what you mean about them losing interest... the clay I made them is sitting in the cupboard still (probably all dried out by now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was similar (or maybe this is it?) to this recipe: http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10705

    I got it out of that book, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link Tina :) That's a flour based recipe, and I I've tried it too, but the oil in it made it seem more slimy. I'm sure the baking soda clay can be googled too. I originally used the recipe from "Feed me, I'm Yours" book...Those days I was really thrilled with the clay craft ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute ornaments, I especially like the egg ;)

    Use #26 for baking soda (not on the list obviously) is for your vehicle: If you have a squealing/squeaky serpentine drive belt, sprinkle baking soda on the belt to stop the squeaks & squeals.
    (Disclaimer: Of course you'll want to check with a mechanic to make sure you don't need it replaced as this belt is what keeps your battery charged, your engine cool, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the additional tip J! I may be able to use that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made the flour based clay for my classroom one time. I must have done something wrong because it was very nasty stuff. I didn't know that you could use baking soda.
    You reminded me that I have a book somewhere on the uses of baking soda. I need to hunt it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love articles like that...thanks for the tips!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!