Monday, November 06, 2006

Crocheted Coaster/Mini Doily

I was browsing through my magazines yesterday, and saw this picture of knitted coasters. I thought it would be much easier to crochet it, considering that I hardly knit, so I tried to make one. I couldnt make my design work with 10 repeats, so I did it with 8. I made a coaster size and another one with a bigger hook, for a small doily. (Photo: McCall's Knit & Crochet for the Home, 1989)


Here it is. Obviously, the knitted original has a more detailed design. But this crochet version is surely a lot easier to make, and looks pretty too. I used cotton threads with metallic for a more elegant look.
I immediately submitted this one for the 2008 Crochet Calendar and I'm so glad that it got accepted!

15 comments:

  1. ooo congrats! What a great idea. Those are great coasters...I wanted to make a set as soon as I saw them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Mimi!!!! So you´ll be in the 2008 calendar too!!! This is great news!!!
    I love the picture too: red wine and that amazing jar make the coasters tempting! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing so great! Congratulations, Mimi! :)
    I love the coasters you re-created with crochet. I must agree that crocheting is much more suitable to make small items like coasters, and I too think that it's so much easier and faster to crochet them than to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty Mimi, and congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Mimi!I am so glad your pattern will be in the 2008 calender as well !!!!It looks very pretty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Mimi- your talent never ceases to amaze me! I DO knit, but I have never knit a doily or a coaster. I would prefer to crochet one, too. Congratulations on it being accepted; wow!...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your coasters are really lovely! No wonder you design got accepted. Truly, you are quite talented!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!! Those are so elegant looking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mi! those are really beautiful! i'll be posting later on my blog, a scarf that i've done for a fellow filipina dorm mate here in Korea. just wanted to drop by too, letting everyone know that i'm very fine here. enjoying the coming winter season here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your comments, I love to hear from you all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, sis! It's not surprising you have a lot of support for your designs. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Congratulations ! Way to go! You designs are so good and this one too. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful work from a talented woman - Congratulations, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The coasters look so pretty. Congratulations on getting your pattern published, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!